Sunday, April 10, 2011

Kalua Pig

Have you ever been to the islands?

I've only been once but we went to an authentic luau where they roasted a pig in the ground and it was AH-mazing. Literally.

This recipe is the closest I've had to that since and it's literally the easiest thing ever to cook. Three ingredients?! I found it at Allrecipes.com. Wow. I hope you enjoy!


Ingredients:
  • 6lb Pork butt roast (also known as a shoulder roast - bone in or out)
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons Hawaiian sea salt
  • 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
Directions:
  1. Pierce pork all over with a carving fork. Rub salt then liquid smoke over meat. Place roast in a slow cooker.
  2. Cover, and cook on Low for 16 to 20 hours, turning once during cooking time.
  3. Remove meat from slow cooker, and shred, adding drippings as needed to moisten.
I do make a few changes to the recipe - as usual! I usually slice a whole yellow onion and throw it in the bottom of the crock, along with some minced garlic.

Oh it's so yummy! My favorite is to have it over a sushi style white rice and a cole slaw on the side. PERFECT! Tonight we had it with a chardonnay, which seems to be my go to wine cause I almost always have it on hand :) My husband isn't a real fan of this style of food so he almost always throws it on a bun with the cole slaw and some BBQ sauce?! Still good I suppose!

Anyway, I hope you enjoy!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment