Friday, June 4, 2010

Happy Birthday Adam!!!

Oh my!... my man turned the big 3-0 on Wednesday!!! 


In honor of him I thought it might be time to post a recipe. It really has been a while since I posted one! I know I've been a horrible blogger since Landon was born and I haven't updated nearly enough!!! I can only do so much one-handed typing though (he's asleep in my arms right now!) But anyway, one of Adam's favorite restaurants is the Outback Steakhouse however since we are broke (whats new?) and I remembered we had this gem collecting dust under our counter, I thought I'd give it a go!!! :)

Great American Steakhouse Onion Machine

Now, I have to say, we've tried this thing before... it sucked. We could never get the coatings in the instruction book to work and it always turned out like crap. However this time... it turned out AWESOME!!! 

If you don't have access to the onion machine (I imagine not since I could only find it for sale anymore on ebay?!) Here's instructions from Allrecipes.com to hand slice it:

***To slice onion: slice 1 inch off of the top and bottom of the onion and remove the papery skin. Use a thin knife to cut a 1 inch diameter core out of the middle of the onion. Now use a very sharp, large knife to slice the onion several times down the center to create 'petals': First slice through the center of the onion to about three-fourths of the way down. Turn the onion 90 degrees and slice it again in an X across the first slice. Keep slicing the sections in half, very carefully until the onion has been cut 16 times. Do not cut down to the bottom of the onion. (The last 8 slices will be difficult, be careful).*** 

Ok so... once you have your onion sliced you need to soak it in ice water root side up for 1 hour. I guess this helps separate the petals and makes them nice and full which helps to coat the onion better. 

While its soaking you can prepare the dry mixture which all we did was just take a bunch of flour along with random spices (Johnnys, pizza seasoning, garlic powder, onion salt, paprika, ground mustard...etc... whatever you have on hand that sounds good). Throw it all in a bag large enough to fit your onion.

The wet coating you'll need is Tempura. Mix it according to the package instructions (I did notice this works best if you leave it a little thick... so use a little less water than instructed). 

After an hour, remove your onion from the ice water and shake dry. Coat with your tempura mixture making sure to get down in between all the petals. Move onion to your bag of dry coatings (this got messy for us!) And shake it... shake it baby shake it!!! :) Remove onion and place it on a plate. Again separate the petals and make sure that the dry coating got down into all the crevices! 

I forgot to mention you need a pretty good size deep fryer (or I guess a large pot would work too but have fun with that?!). We heated oil to about 375 degrees and cooked our onion till she was golden brown!!! 

Look at this beauty... oh it was good!!!

OH! I almost forgot... the sauce! I found a few different variations of the ingredients online for this. I have to be honest, we kind of make-shifted?! Here's the ingredients we used, however, the measurements are questionable so I'm not including them :)
  • Mayo
  • Ketchup
  • Chili Sauce
  • Cheyenne pepper
One last recipe that I attempted was the Outback Steakhouse Bread... it didn't turn out :( BUT - I have to admit that I was in a hurry cause Landon was starting to get fussy. You just can't rush making bread!!! Adam ate a lot of it anyway so maybe it wasn't THAT bad but it was not picture worthy! I'm going to try it again when I have more time :) If it comes out better I'll post it.

Alright folks that's all for now... my arm is asleep from holding Landon this whole time and I need to shower! CHEERS!!!
















No comments:

Post a Comment