Saturday, March 20, 2010

Our Small Time Remodel

***Disclaimer: Small time remodeling projects should NOT be done at 37/38 weeks pregnant***

Last weekend (at 37 weeks 5 days pregnant) we started ripping out the carpet in our living room, dining area, and hallway. **Go ahead - flame away - I can feel the serious side eyes I'm getting from many of you** ANYWAY, call it nesting... call it whatever. All I have to say is that ADAM started it. 

I was chatting with a friend about whether or not to rent another Rug Doctor or hire yet another professional carpet cleaner to have the carpets done one last time before Landon makes his appearance. It's horrible - our carpets were brand new when we bought the house 4 years ago... but with 4 dogs and a dirt backyard, they are constantly disgusting and impossible to keep clean. Well, after consulting with Adam and weighing the cost of our options (again) and REALLY wondering what we were breathing by having this nasty carpeting in our house.... I found my hallway carpeting on the front lawn. I guess that was the start of it - no going back at that point!

So... at 7am, off Adam went to work that morning and I got my lazy pregnant butt out of bed and busy ripping out the rest of what I could. I worked in small patches... cutting the rug out... ripping out the padding... lifting out the tack board (ouch!)... pulling out staples... and sweeping/cleaning up well... nastiness. By noon - I thought I was ready to keel over but the hallway was out and I was 1/2 way through our living room. All I needed was for Adam to get home and move some larger furniture so we could get the rest out. 

When we started, we didn't really have a plan as to what we were going to put down in the carpets place however, I knew that whatever we chose, it was going to be better (and healthier) than breathing... "piss carpet." In the end, the three rooms we took carpeting out of all had different crap underneath. One room, had old nasty hardwood. Another had old peel and stick tiles that resembled wood. And the hall was well... really REALLY old wood. That's what we get for buying a house built in 1932?! We cleaned the floors the best we could, primed them, and painted them! :) I have to say that it's not the most professional looking, or probably the most quality option but all said and done - it cost us a total of about $80. The paint I chose was a medium chocolate brown color and it was specifically for flooring and I opted to add a little bit of traction sand for texture. 

2-3 days of dry time, some area rugs that I already had but were shoved in the closet and whaalaah!

I do have to say I probably overdid it cause that first afternoon I couldn't barely get off the couch. The next day my legs felt like I had run a marathon and Monday, I left work early?! ... go ahead everyone - you can say I told ya so!

I wish I had a before picture. I know that I do somewhere so if I can round it up I'll try to get it posted but anyway - here's the finished product!!! **Don't mind the clutter and the fact that our house is only like 800 sq ft** :)

No comments:

Post a Comment