Tuesday, November 10, 2009

20 Weeks down...

20 to go! Ok I'm a little late but I was too tired to blog yesterday - it's actually 20 Weeks and 1 Day now... oops!? Anyway - the halfway point - such a good feeling! I can't say that I've enjoyed every moment of it but I sure am having a good experience so far... so far being the key word. I had kind of a bad experience at my monthly check up yesterday.

Here's the recap:


To start, I could have sworn my appointment was at 11:30am so I walk in at 11:25am and the receptionist informs me that I've missed my appointment because it was at 11am. What a fabulous feeling...

Great.


My appointment was to meet with the other doctor in the practice just in case Dr. C isn't available at "go time." Great first impression! So the receptionist calls back to the doctor who so kindly agrees to still see me if I'm willing to wait about a 1/2 hour. Thank goodness! So I finally get back to the room and meet Dr. W - she's nice - however I definitely prefer Dr. C. No real particular reason other than she just gives off a different vibe, if that makes any sense. She kept talking about doulas, yoga, and natural childbirth... PSH!!! I make it to the gym lady and when I ask for the effing epidural it better be on standby! ANYWAY!

We do the usual: pee in a cup, blood pressure, any new concerns... etc, etc. Then she starts to tell me that they've looked over the results of my ultrasound from 2 weeks ago and they need to schedule a follow up. What? So what do I do? I FREAK THE EFF OUT!!! I think I went into panic mode instantly - already flustered from being late - I start to ask all kinds of questions.
Dr. W kindly calms me down and clarifies that I shouldn't worry that they just have to do a follow up ultrasound - all the measurements that they did get looked good and right on track where they should be. It just appears that Baby GB was quite active and was moving around so much that they didn't get everything that they wanted.

Hmmmm... I just have a weird feeling - I hate it - and I'm really nervous. My follow up ultrasound is scheduled for Thursday and while I'm really excited that I get to see Baby Schultz for a second time, I'm really hoping that what Dr. W told me is true and that I don't need to worry about anything. I am debating on whether or not to call Dr. C tomorrow just to get some reassurance that really they just didn't get all their measurements.

Anyway, today was also the first time that I've had my belly measured. Apparently, from the top of your uterus to the bottom should measure the number of weeks you are + or - 2. So at 20 weeks my belly should measure 18-22 inches... Guess what we're at? 22 inches baby! Normal - but on the large end of the scale :) Slow down Baby Schultz - this isn't a race here!!!



(NOT my belly!!!) :)
Photo Credit

AND - last but not least - again, Dr. W had the same tact as Dr. C when talking flu shots and I was again bamboozled. I left with the h1n1 shot. I feel good about it though - granted 2 months ago I was 100% against EITHER shot, I ended up getting both.

Wow... that was quite the update! I'll leave you with what Baby Schultz is up to this week from thebump.com:

Baby's now the size of a cantaloupe!
Baby gulps down several ounces of amniotic fluid every day, both for nutrition and to practice swallowing and digesting. And, these days, those taste buds actually work! Studies show that after birth, babies respond best to tastes they've already had via amniotic fluid. Meaning, think about what you'd like your future child to eat as you prepare your own lunch.


Cheers all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment