Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Discovery Village - Review?! or Rave?!

Today I took Landon to Discovery Village in Gig Harbor!

Despite the whopping $8.50 addmission fee {plus $2.11 apple juice because he saw some other kid with the apple shaped goodness} we had a pretty good time! We moved over here almost four months ago now and I'm just making it here despite people constantly telling me it was the place to take your toddler. Honestly, it's because I'm anti-social... mostly because other people's children really give me anxiety. No joke. But I owe it to Landon since we are so fortunate to stay home together.

Anyway.

This is the “sand and surf” zone… Landon spent a lot of time here. Think mildly wet sand. Messy. But that’s just the OCD in me – at least it’s not my house to clean up right? He loved it.


I didn't take very many pictures because there were so many other kids there that I didn't want to snap anyone else's kid in the background out of respect. But some other "zones" included:

The Pacific Northwest play area - think soft floor, soft climing toys, soft slide bridge, a boat, a car and big ol' soft climb through tree! Soft. No shoes allowed. Play area for all ages. My favorite area by far... Landon of course only spent like 10 minutes running around here.

The Market - a grocery store equipped with shopping carts and all, a flower shop, a pet store, a doctors office with dress up items, a train station, and even a little art station with crayons and markers. Landon kept trying to eat the crayons and markers. Ugh - or screaming when I tried to take them away.

The Geo Zone - Rocks, a little trickle of water. Landon LOVED this zone. He loves rocks. But there were no step stools like in the sand zone for him to be tall enough to really enjoy this one. And I could only hold him up for so long :)

They also have a full cafe and offer what looked like fun classes or activity/pre-school groups {for an additional fee!}.

One thing I do really want to highlight is the staff - oh.my.gah. were they nice. And oh so good with the little kiddies. Not only did they welcome us and give us a whole tour but they checked on us the entire time we were there and I just watched them constantly pick up after the kids so that all of the toys didn't look like they were thrown all over the place! {I kind of got a glimpse of what I must look like cleaning up after Landon all day?!!? Again... OCD.}
And also, the best staff member of the day {I wish I would have gotten her name} is the girl in the parking lot who was just coming on her shift as I was attempting failing to get Landon into his carseat as we were leaving. He was throwing the biggest tantrum I've ever heard {the kind where he straightens out like a board... yeah fun} and this girl came over to say hi and distract him... I'm thinking this must happen often. LOL.

My only gripe - which would probably be my gripe at any place of the sorts is the parents. Seriously. Watch your kids - interact with your kids. If you want to drop them off at daycare or the babysitter to go have a girls chat or an afternoon away then do so. This is not the place. Its fun interacting with other parents who are actually playing with their kids and helping them learn but the ones gossiping at the tables while your kid is grabbing toys from Landon's hands annoy the heck out of me.

::stepping off my soapbox:: :)

We'll definitely go back here again as Landon obviously had a blast although at $8.50 a pop when he's only good for a few hours before needing a nap or at the very least a stimulation break, the visits won't be all that often!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment