Friday, February 19, 2010

Olive Garden Chicken Castellina

I don't know why I don't make this more often... oh wait... probably because it's REALLY super gooey and yummy and I'm sure it can't be healthy. But man, is it OH.SO.GOOD! It's also no longer on the Olive Garden menu - they won't even make it special order... boo. So I googled and found that while they don't offer it anymore, they do give the recipe right on their website!!! I've had the recipe for some time now just in case it falls off their website... here's their credit...

So my sister was in town this weekend and while she HATES mushrooms, I decided we'd make it anyway - she picked them out :)

While it I thought it would do NOTHING for my blood sugar numbers, suprisingly, we made this along with a huge salad and some garlic bread (which I only had 1 small piece of) and my numbers turned out fine... so I had leftovers for lunch the next day :)

We ate it so fast that I didn't have time to take a picture... oops! Next time :) Enjoy!

Ingredients
Chicken Ingredients:
1/4 tsp Salt
1 oz Cornstarch
--
2 oz Sun-dried tomatoes, diced
1 Tbsp Fresh rosemary, chopped
3 oz Butter, cubed
1/2 tsp Salt
2 oz Grated Parmesan
12 oz Milk
1 1/2 lb(s) Cooked pasta
--
8 1/2 oz Can sliced artichokes, drained
2 oz White wine
Fresh parsley, chopped
12 oz Heavy cream
1 1/2 lb(s) Skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut in 1 to 1-1/2-inch pieces
2 oz Pancetta (or bacon), diced
1/4 tsp Pepper
3 oz Mushrooms, sliced
6 oz Flour
1/4 tsp Pepper
--

Sauce Ingredients:
3 oz Smoked Gouda, chopped
1 1/2 oz Olive oil
1 tsp Garlic, chopped

Procedures
Sauce Preparation
- In a 3-qt sauce pan or large pot, sauté pancetta (or bacon) over medium/high heat until crisp and golden (not dark)
- Lower heat, add butter and melt
- Add garlic and sun-dried tomatoes
- Sauté for approximately one minute stirring frequently (do not brown)
- Whisk in cream, milk and cornstarch. Raise heat to medium/high
- Whisk in Parmesan and Gouda
- Once cheese melts, add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil stirring continuously
- Remove from heat and let stand uncovered


Chicken Preparation
- Mix flour with salt and pepper
- Coat chicken in seasoned flour, shake off excess flour
- Heat olive oil in large sauté pan
- Add chicken in a single layer and cook until golden brown on both sides (it should take approximately seven minutes). Using a meat thermometer, make sure the internal temperature of the thickest piece of chicken reaches 165 degrees
- Begin pasta in a separate pot according to package directions
- Add wine to chicken in pan (caution: there will be a low flame in pan). Toss gently until wine is evaporated
- Once reduced, add sauce and bring to a boil on medium/high heat
- Place 6 oz of cooked pasta on each plate
- Evenly distribute chicken and sauce over pasta
- Garnish with chopped parsley

2 comments:

  1. This looks good! What type of pasta did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made this a few times and it works with pretty much any kind of pasta - this time we used a whole wheat rigatoni I think it was?! But I've used anything from shells and bowtie pasta too!

    ReplyDelete